Lush hair and shower haul

Lush haul

It’s nothing new that many companies test their products on animals. You’d have to live under a rock not to know this. But it’s still shocking when you find products you use on the lists of brands tested on animals. I 100% disagree with animal testing for makeup and hair care etc. I hope to eventually switch out all of the products I use which were tested on animals for cruelty free brands,  but for now I’m starting with hair.

For the past couple of years I’ve  been using Aussie’s shampoos and conditioners. Recently I found this was on the no go list. And so I’ve decided to go back to using Lush hair care products. I decided to buy two shampoo bars to try out and an old faithful bottle of conditioner. And typical me couldn’t resist buying my two favourite shower gels whilst on the Lush website. I thought I’d give my first impressions of the products I bought and maybe do a full review of the ones I love the most and am going to keep as a constant part of my routine another time.

Lush solid shampoos

Shampoo

Lush solid shampoo bars apparently last for around 80 washes and I love that there’s no waste, plastic packaging. The shampoos I used in the past foamed up well and left my hair feeling squeaky clean. This time though I was after something more moisturising. I’m yet to try these out but thought I’d still give my first impressions.

First of all I chose Brazilliant as according to the Lush website this shampoo is said to be really moisturising to curly and Afro-Caribbean hair – perfff. It’s scented with ylang ylang oil and orange oil which gives a tropical scent which I am so ready for. True to the scent, the bar is bright orange! I’m most excited to use this bar as I’m interested to see just how soft it makes my hair.

I also decided to try out Honey I Washed My Hair as the tagline ‘Bee in your Bonnet?’ is so me. And yeah I have a bee in my bonnet about animal testing haha. The honey adds shine and softness to your hair whilst also giving the shampoo a syrupy sweet scent. Like Brazilliant this bar also has sweet orange oil in it but this time paired with bergamot oil. This scent seems to be a lot stronger and sweeter which suggests to me it’s also really long lasting.

Lush american cream conditioner

Conditioner

As mentioned above, I decided to go for a conditioner I’d used before. This was American Cream. Unlike the solid shampoo bars this is a ‘normal’ type of conditioner which comes in a recycled plastic bottle. This is a thick, strawberries and cream, milkshake scented conditioner and is said to bring all the boys to the yard 😉 I’d be lying if that wasn’t what first attracted me to this conditioner all those years ago haha. This conditioner is thick and moisturising and always left my hair smelling sweet. I can’t think why I ever stopped using it.

Lush shower gel

Shower gel

I don’t know what it is about Lush shower gels – the fact they seem to last forever, they always smell amazing, they’re not tested on animals etc. etc. – they’re simply my favourite kind. My two favourites I’ve ever used are The Olive Branch and Dirty Springwash.

The Olive Branch is a really runny shower gel which you need to shake before using as the olive oil tends to separate out. The olive oil used in this is fairtrade and from an Israeli/Palestinian collective. The gel is scented with fresh mandarins, bergamot oil and vine leaves. But to me it doesn’t smell remotely citrusy. It has a beautiful hard to describe scent kind of like a subtle aftershave…? Don’t let this put you off though, as it always leaves my skin amazingly soft! I highly recommend you go into a store to smell this for yourself and you’ll know what I mean.

Dirty Springwash is a bright blue minty fresh shower gel. I love to use this shower gel in the mornings as it contains spearmint and menthol to  help wake you up a bit. I think the Dirty range was originally made for men (?) but it’s one of my favourite Lush scents. It’s one I’ve used for so many years and it always brings back memories when I use it. I loooove it.

I guess I have a thing for men scents haha.

If you’d like to read the list of companies who’ve tested their products on animals that I read, you can do so here.

LindyC

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

Share:

27 Comments

1. Becky
    September 14, 2016 / 6:31 pm

I absolutely love Lush, their products are amazing. Recently I’ve been loving their hair care products, I absolutely LOVE the Jason and the Argan Oil shampoo bar, it smells gorgeous and leaves my hair so smooth, I also got the Seanik one for my birthday, hopefully that’s good too! I’ve tried the American Cream conditioner before, it smells fab, mine was only a little bottle so I got through it pretty quickly and didn’t really notice a difference to my hair! I hope to try more in the future! I also love their shower gels, the one I have is the Rose Jam one, because I’m obsessed with the scent its amazing!!!
    Becky Shannon xx – Life-by-Becky

September 14, 2016 / 7:19 pm

I’ve not tried either of those shampoo bars yet! I love trying out new products from Lush too, they all smell amazing! I’d definitely try out American Cream again if you don’t mind buying a bigger bottle, it’s worth it just for the scent haha x

2. September 14, 2016 / 7:08 pm

The conditioner sounds amazing, i’m in serious need of a lush haul! x

Emma

September 14, 2016 / 7:20 pm

It smells so good! Definitely go check it out x

3. September 14, 2016 / 7:08 pm

Really interesting post, I’ve heard a lot about Lush’s face washes and bath bombs etc but not a lot about their hair care so this was a great read! I’m always looking for new products for my hair so will definitely check out the Lush shampoo, Honey I Washed My Hair sounds fab!

Small, Brown & Stylish | Thrifty Fashion & DIY Blog

September 14, 2016 / 7:21 pm

Lush is really great for hair, they have so many products you should try out! Although you can’t beat a good bath bomb! x

4. September 14, 2016 / 7:17 pm

Strawberry and cream scented conditioner sounds like my kinda conditioner! Absolutely LOVE Lush’s products and ethics! x

Stephanie // http://www.stephiebeau.com

5. September 14, 2016 / 7:24 pm

I’ve always wanted to try the solid shampoos! my favourite is the Hair Doctor mask but they don’t do it anymore..sob sob xx

September 14, 2016 / 7:50 pm

Oh no! I’m sad I didn’t ever get to try it 🙁

6. September 14, 2016 / 7:28 pm

Everyone is hyping over Lush! I actually haven’t ever had any Lush products- but I need to give these a try. Great review lovely X

September 14, 2016 / 7:52 pm

!!!!!!! Go to Lush right now!! There’s so much you need to try x

7. September 14, 2016 / 7:36 pm

Lovely post , I’m a huge fan of Lush too ! I still have so many spring / summer products to use up but I’m already so excited to get the autumn / winter range !

September 15, 2016 / 11:20 am

I’m so excited for their christmas products!!

8. September 14, 2016 / 7:39 pm

These look so exciting! I have never tried a solid shampoo but I love the look of these ones ✨

I think I need to get some to review!
    Lovely post xx
    Francesca xx

September 14, 2016 / 7:51 pm

Definitely try them out! They’re so unique, I love them!

9. September 14, 2016 / 7:54 pm

Fab post!!! I don’t use any products tested on animals but I haven’t tried lush’s hair products before! They do look awesome so I’ll have to give them a go! Thanks for a great post! X

September 15, 2016 / 11:21 am

That’s so great! Definitely check them out, you wont regret it! x

10. September 14, 2016 / 8:24 pm

Glad I came across your lush haul on Twitter through Becca’s promo hour. Love lush posts so I know I will definitely be a regular reader now! Haven’t tried these products but I may need to soon but saving up for the Halloween and Christmas goodies!
    Becca // http://www.beccasloveforlife.blogspot.co.uk

September 15, 2016 / 11:23 am

That’s so lovely! I’m really excited for the Christmas range this year ahhh gonna have to have a little break from buying new products till then haha x

September 15, 2016 / 11:23 am

you wont regret it !

11. September 14, 2016 / 9:53 pm

I’ve never tried any of Lush’s shampoos – I fancy the honey one, I might treat myself 🙂 Have you tried the Snow Fairy shower gel? The Rose Jam (i think?) is absolutely gorgeous, too!
    Also, just in case you didn’t know and wanted a more affordable cruelty free shampoo – I always use the superdrug own brand stuff and it’s lovely.

Teri-May xx

September 15, 2016 / 11:25 am

I looooove Snow Fairy! I can’t wait to get my hands on it again this Christmas 🙂 I’ve not tried Rose Jam before! I’ll have to get it once these run out haha. That’s great, I’ll definitely check the superdrug shampoo out when I’ve used up these two x

12. September 15, 2016 / 9:00 am

That conditioner sounds sooo goooood!! x

September 15, 2016 / 11:21 am

it’s amaaazing!

13. June 19, 2017 / 8:26 am

Lush shampoo bars have changed my life! Honey I Washed My Hair is AMAZING for my oily hair and I also pair with American Dream – that scent! I adore Lush so much. And their products do seem to last FOREVER.